34070 Manston – BR Service
Manston was the last light Pacific to be numbered using Bulleid's unusual system and it emerged from Brighton Works in November 1947 as 21C170. It was the last locomotive to be built by the Southern Railway before Nationalisation.
Manston at Barnstaple shed with Ivatt class 2 41224
It was initially allocated to Ramsgate for duty on the main line services to London and on 31st May 1948 it had the distinction of working the inaugural Thanet Belle Pullman train between Ramsgate and Victoria. In common with the other Bulleid numbered engines, it was given a conventional BR number, 34070, and in 1950 it was transferred to Stewarts Lane shed for work on the important Eastern Section services to Folkestone and Dover as well as the Central Section services to Brighton. In 1955 it was moved to Dover where it was used on the Continental boat trains including the Night Ferry.
The completion of the Kent Coast electrification in May 1961 meant that there was no longer any suitable work at Dover and it was transferred to Ashford (26th May 1960), and before long (9th Nov 1961) to its last shed, Exmouth Junction. In common with the other Exmouth Junction based locomotives it worked over the Southern's extensive system in Devon and North Cornwall as well as the main line between Exeter and Salisbury. It was finally withdrawn in the week ending 25th July 1964 and sent for scrap to Woodham's at Barry.
34070 at Woodham's, Barry
It remained at Barry for 18 years before being purchased by the Manston Locomotive Preservation Society.